Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Emotionally Destructive Relationships


I am reading this book and let me tell you it is eye opening. Not only has it confirmed that many of my relationships have been emotionally destructive, but it also exposed my own emotionally destructive habits. Many times I don't realize the weight of my words and how piercing they can be to those around me. I have many areas in my life that God is exposing and in this area specifically He is exposing the sin of hurtful words. I could use the excuse that I have been hurt, but honestly the buck stops with me. I am not responsible for other people's words or deeds, but I am responsible for my own. The use of biting sarcasm, reminding people of their sins, and just plain ol' yuckiness. I know the pain of abuse. I know the pain of being rejected. I know the pain of being abandoned. I know the pain of being used. Yet all of these pains in all honesty pale in comparision to the pain of emotional abuse. It is a pain that people cannot see, but one that can affect so many areas of life. 

If you or someone you know is in or has been in an emotionally destructive relationships then I highly recommend this book. Leslie's teachings are solid, Biblical, and really point out the heart of the matter. The main focus on the readers healing, not blaming other people. She wants the reader to change their life and not lay blame on another person. It is very insightful reading, and I'm only on Chapter 3. 

No comments: