Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fear or Faith

I am writing this post at 11:48 pm. Maybe 11:48 pm is not late for some people, but for me it is late and I should be sound asleep. Why am I not sound asleep? One word:

Anxious

Money is tight and the mortgage is slightly behind, and I really mean slightly as in a week. However, in this economy and times of foreclosures I am anxious. The logical side of me knows or hopes that everything will be okay, but the illogical side is very concerned. So concerned and anxious that I cannot sleep. When I do go to sleep I wake up with the fear of dread and doom. 

I do not want to be anxious, I know where my hope is. It is not in this house or even in money, it is in Christ. So tonight as I was online I started looking up scriptures for not being anxious. Before I share them, I want to share the definition with you.

Anxious:  Characterized by extreme uneasiness of mind, brooding fear about some contingency. 

That definition is from the webster-online dictionary and it sums up exactly how I feel. 

Here are some Bible verses that I found:

"An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up." Proverbs 12:25

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in all things by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philipians 4:6

"Cast all your cares on the Lord, He will sustain you. He will never let the righteous fall." Psalm 55:22

"...your father knows what you need before you ask Him." Matthew 6:8

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important then food and the body more important then clothes? Look at the birds of the air, they do not sow or reap or store away in the barns, and yet our heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable then they?" Matthew 6:24-26

"Who of you worrying can add a single hour to his life?" Luke 12:25

As I read those verses I am calmed by the fact that God has it all under control. I cannot do a single thing at this moment about changing our circumstance, the mortgage is late and that's all there is to it. I can however choose not to worry and not allow anxiety to reign in me. There is no room in my mind for both fear and faith , it honestly is one or the other. 

Tonight at, 12:14AM, I am choosing faith. 

1 comment:

Penny said...

Our car payment is many months behind. We actually called the bank and told them to come and take it.

A week later they called and offered to defer the payments and lower our interest rate.

We can keep the car, with no payments. In March we are expected to resume making payments and pay what we missed.

Crazy.