Thursday, April 8, 2010

Four Years Ago

It is hard to believe that four years has gone by since my mother went to be with the Lord. Four years. Wow!! I remember the day she lost her battle with lymphoma and entered into Glory just like it was yesterday, but that is not what I want to focus on today. Today I want to focus on the woman that she was. My mothers name was Irene, and she was the strongest person I have ever met in my life. Her passion was gardening, and I don't mean a small back of the yard garden, but 3 huge plots of land along with a stand for selling what was harvested. My mom had a zeal for life that was contagious. She loved her family very much, and I am so blessed to be able to say that she was really one of my very best friends. We used to talk on the phone just about every day, I really miss those talks now. She was an avid Democrat and I am a "dyed in the wool Republican", as she used to say. The talks some times got heated, but we never got angry with each other it was just how it was. Gosh, I miss those talks so much. My mother was also a terribly fast and impatient driver. I remember the time we went to Boston and my mother drove my car. The very first thing she checked for was to make sure the horn worked and yes she did use it, a lot. ;o) Whenever she came up to visit it was like a tornado had blown through. She would come in with bags of stuff, clean my house, take walks with the kids, we would go shopping, and of course plant something. Then a couple days later, she would leave. It was so fast, but such great visits. She did come up and stay with me after each new baby was born, and that was really nice. Instead of zipping in and zipping out, she would actually stop and take time to mellow out. I was so blessed to have her come and help during those times, they are wonderful memories for me. Then I remember when she was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, I knew it wasn't good but I also knew if anyone could fight she could. She was healthy, aside from the nasty cancer and strong. My mother fought a good fight for 3 years, but in the end the cancer beat her. I know she is in heaven and I know that I will see her again, but I miss her oh so very much. I think of all things she missed that she would of been so proud of, but I also know that God's timing is not mine. He is in control, He knows when each of us will be born and when we will die and I have to rest in that fact. I may not like His timing, but I know He has it all under control. Today take the time to hug on your loved ones and thank God for those who are already gone. I know that's what I will be doing.

1 comment:

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

(((hugs)))

What a sweet tribute to your mom! She sounds like an amazing and fun woman. I wish I had some of her energy!

It's a blessing to have such a wonderful relationship with your mother.

I can't wait for Heaven. It's going to be unbelievable!

Love,
Marsha