Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Beef Barley Soup

I normally do not post recipes, and the reason is twofold:

1.) I am really not that great of a cook. Oh, I can hold my own and feed my family but I don't have burning passion for it that many other bloggers do.

2.) When I make my own recipe, I usually just fudge it. Meaning, I don't write down measurements and that makes it hard to share.

This beef barely recipe was just too good not to share. It was simple, nutritious, and cheap. I used a crock pot, but you could cook it on the stove or even in the oven. 

Beef Barely Soup

1-2 lbs. of hamburg
6 potatoes
10 carrots 
2 onions
1 clove of garlic
barely
salt
pepper
paprika
basil
 any other seasonings that you want

Instructions:

1.) Brown the hamburg and add in salt, pepper, and paprika in a skillet. I used a large skillet for this, because I also added other ingredients.  I told you, I don't do measurements, this was all to taste. 

2.) Cut up the potatoes, carrots, onions, and mince the garlic.

3.) Once the hamburg is browned put all the vegetables and garlic in the skillet along with a cup or two of water. Make sure to get all the bits off the bottom of the skillet. Let simmer for about 20 minutes.

4.) Dump everything from the skillet into a crock pot or a bigger pot and add a couple more cups of water. Add a half cup to a cup of barely.

5.) Let cook for the rest of the day.

6.) Add seasonings to taste and eat. 



No comments: