Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Parent -- Student Meetings

As we enter new year and the word purpose is at the front of my mind, I did something that I have not done very often. I set up a parent-student meeting. Public schools have teacher-parent meetings to discuss how the student is doing, so why not have them at home with the student?

First I looked over my high school students classes and credits from previous years. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they both exceeded the minimum 20 credits for a basic diploma at the local high school.

Next I went over their current curriculum with them, asking them what they felt may be lacking and what was working. We then made a list of material to add this year, that would round off their education experience.

I met with each child individually and each helped come up with their own goals for the rest of the year. It did not take a long time, no longer then checking out blogs or various websites. I plan on meeting again at the end of the year to plan out goals for the summer and coming year.

Do you meet with your homeschool student to discuss goals for the year? I would love to hear about what has worked and has not worked.

No comments: