Thursday, January 14, 2010

Favorite Curriculums

Through the years, we have used a variety of things. I thought it would be good to compile a list of the things that worked for us. Maybe another homeschool mom will stumble across this list and be helped as she searches out the "right fit" for her child.

Rod and Staff Preschool : This was a huge favorite of mine! The only student who used this was my daughter, who is now almost 16. I was never into using workbooks, but my little student was and these were the perfect fit for her. If ask her today about her preschool experience, she will remember using these books. She loved them!! :o)

Saxon Math : This is one program that we have consistently used will all the kids, except one. This curriculum can be expensive, but if you have more then one 'student' you can reuse the books. One of the best things about this curriculum is that when you reach the older grades the live helpline really does help. I have called with questions, and the people are always kind, friendly, and really walk me through so I can teach my children.

Beautiful Feet History : The only down side of this curriculum is I wish I had started it earlier!! I was always turned off by the price tag, however once I took the plunge it was great!! In all honesty I only bought the guides and then added the books from the library or other sources. We learned about the Middle Ages and American History with this program. The kids still remember facts about history, because they learned it through living books. Our lessons were not dull, but rather filled with learning about real people and real situations. Not just snippets of facts tossed out, but instead the whole story. I highly recommend this curriculum for any age group.

Around the World in 180 Days : Geography was a class I never had in public school. Yes, I learned the states and their capitols, but I never learned about the rest of the world. This curriculum is a multi level and uses many living books to help bring geography to life. I loved learning right along with my kids, and I will be doing this again next year on a higher level with my son.

That's all I have time for right now. I will post more as I get more time. Bookmark this page and check back in a week or so. ;o)




No comments: