Monday, August 3, 2009

Not Back to School (Week One Curriculums)

Darcy over at mythreeboybarians is hosting the "Not Back to School" month long meme. Every week will be a different theme starting with this weeks, Curriculum Choices. 

This year I will have 3 homeschoolers in grades 7th, 11th, and 12th. It is funny how now instead of adding 'students' they are graduating and my 'classroom' is getting smaller by the year. We are entering our 14th year of homeschooling, that just blows me away to even to write that out! I cannot believe it has been that long, it seems like just yesterday we started. In our home school journey we have used many different curriculum's, we are a very eclectic home school family. I want to share what we will be using this year, but I will be writing a series on all the curriculum's we have used through the years. I will share the good, bad, and ugly. ;o) My hope is that someone can benefit from our experiences. 

2009-2010 School Year

12th Grader:
SAT Workbook
Write Stuff
Aplogia Chemistry
SAT Math DVD
Teaching Textbooks Geometry
History of Gods Kingdom (Sonlight)
Physical Education
Digital Art
British Literature
New Testament Theory (I'm not sure what I'm using for this, but her hearts desire is missions so this will help her)

11th Grader:
Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2
History of Gods Kingdom (Sonlight)
ABeka Grade 11 Grammar
Physical Education
Writing (this is my daughters passion, so she will be doing a lot of writing through blogging and other things)
Apologia Chemistry
Latin 4 (this is an outside class)
British Literature 
Web-Site Design 

7th Grader
ABecka Grammar
Physical Education
Apologia Astronomy
Saxon Math
Saxon Phonics Program--We have been using this for a couple years and it is really helping him to read better. I highly recommend this for children with learning disabilities. 
Around the World in 180 Days-- We used this years ago with the older children and loved it!! :o)
Typing Tutor
Piano

I will add and subtract as necessary throughout the year, but that is a basic list of our curriculum choices for the upcoming year. How about you, what are you using this year? Head on over to Darcy's site and add in your thoughts. 







4 comments:

Darcy @ m3b said...

Thanks for linking up. I'm so glad to see so many high school homeschoolers participating in this blog hop. My experience has been that it's much easier to find bloggy friends in the lower elementary grades. but there have been many HS homeschoolers on the blog hop.

Hope you have a great year!

rural momma said...

Darcy~~I honestly think that more homeschoolers are sticking it out as they reach the high school years. They are not a frightened or intimated to teach their kids, after all they've been already teaching them for years. ;o) Also, teaching high school is so much easier because they already know how to read and write. Plus there is a pleathora of great homeschool curriculums out there. :o)

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

That sure is a full year for everyone!

Your post reminded me to look at Sonlight for some Bible stuff. Our kids participate in Masters Club at church and they have scripture memorization and daily study they are "supposed" to do for that. I just want to keep my eyes out in case something new and interesting (and scripturally sound comes on the market).

Oh and I forgot to list Typing in my post. Need to go fix that now. :)

Hope you have a great week!

rural momma said...

marsha~~ It is going to be a full year. :o) One of my dds wants to graduate a year early, which means she has to do more. My other dd is a senior, so we want to do as much as we can while she is here. My son really needs more work, as I feel he has been more neglected since he is the 'baby'. I have tended to do more with the older kids, since they will be graduating soon.
I hope you have a great week too!! :o) Thanks for stopping by. :o)