Sunday, September 19, 2010

Favorite Homeschool Curriculum-- Math

It has been awhile since I have shared my favorite homeschool curriculum. Back in August I shared my favorite phonics curriculum's, so this month I will share my favorite math curriculum's. 

Saxon  is the one math curriculum that I have used almost exclusively. I know some people don't like it, they think it is excessive with it's review. Personally, I needed a lot of review in math and so do my children. Keep in mind that, the curriculum should not work you but you should work it. Meaning, if you don't want to do so much review then skip it! If you want more review then either make copies or find some printable math papers online. The thing that I like best about Saxon is that the company is there for the parent/teacher. If you cannot figure out a problem, call the 1-800 number and they will work it out with you. I have done this, I can testify that they do work with you. 

http://teachingtextbooks.com/  is another favorite of mine. We have only used them once for Algebra 2, mainly because of the cost. If you have lots of children who you will pass these down to, then it is well worth it. If you are going to sell them on ebay or homeschoolclassifieds  then they would be well worth it too. The thing I love about it, is that EVERY single problem is worked out on a companion CD for the computer. My daughter does the work in her room, but if she cannot figure out a problem she goes downstairs to the computer to get some help. My math level does not go beyond Algebra 1 and then I really have to sweep the cobwebs out of my brain to remember it. 

Math Shark is such a handy way to learn basic math!! It is so fun, I wonder if the kids know they are even learning!! :o)

Basic Flash Cards, who can do without basic math flashcards? I remember years ago going over flashcards as my grandmother held them up for me. To this day I use those very same flashcards with my own kids! 

That wraps up the Math portion. I realize there are many other great math programs out there and these are only a few. However, these are the ones that I have used with my own children so those are the ones that I personally can attest to. I hope it has been helpful.  

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Another great way to get more math practice (without the kids really realizing) is using DreamBox Learning. It is an online math game that evolves as the student gets better and more knowledgeable. The best part is that there is a report for the parent which tells you where they are having trouble and where they are exceeding so you can followup with more homeschool help! You can try it for free for 14 days at www.dreambox.com

rural momma said...

Michelle~ That sounds really interesting, I will have to check it out and maybe some of my readers will too!! :o)

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.